Interruption in access to appointment booking service 27 March 19:00-23:00 More information
Interruption in online service 30 March 06:00–15:00 More information
Quick quide for families with children
Kela provides many benefits for families with children. This quick guide explains the benefits that could be relevant for you.See the quick guide for families with children
When pregnant and with a newborn
- Maternity grant
- You can choose between a maternity package and a €170 cash benefit.
- Maternity allowance
- Maternity allowance is paid for about 4 months during the maternity leave.
- Paternity allowance
- Paternity allowance is paid for about 9 weeks during the paternity leave.
- Parental allowance
- Either the mother or father can take a parental leave.
- Child benefit
- Child benefit is paid for children under the age of 17.
Child care allowances
- Child home care allowance
- Mother or father looks after the child at home.
- Private day care allowance
- Child under school age is looked after by a caregiver paid by the family or a private day care provider.
- Flexible care allowance
- Parent works up to 30 hours a week, using the remaining time to look after a child under 3 years of age.
- Partial care allowance
- Parent works up to 30 hours a week, using the remaining time to look after a child in the 1st or 2nd year of school.